Friday, November 16, 2007

We're Back, We're Tired, More Tomorrow

We got in at about 8:00 last night. It's a long drive to do in one shot but I'm glad we did. We hit rain, snow, sleet, and one large traffic jam but still did it in twelve hours. Not bad!

Carrie got sicker than a dog while we were out there, so it did curtail some of our activity but we spent lots of time with our dear friends Jerome & Eva. It had been eight years since we had done so (in person, anyway) and it was just wonderful. We laughed and cried and enjoyed one another's company.

Seeing the old stomping grounds was a little weird. Most of my time out there I couldn't remember what planet I was on. So much of the area has changed. Our neighborhood and house looked exactly the same. There are so many fantastic memories there. We raised all of our four boys there. They rollerbladed in the living room, played endless hours of whiffle ball in the back yard, and had a riot with each other. I must admit, it made me a little wistful for those very simple days of their childhood. My youngest boy, David, made the trip with me and it was just kind of cool to have him see it all through the eyes of an 'almost adult'. I took some of the guys' friends out to lunch with Jim & Dave on Tuesday (they're all almost done with college now) and it was just great. So many memories. Lots of time invested. You never know what will come of it all in the grand scheme of things.

Enough musing for now. David has now got whatever Carrie's got. I am praying I am not the next to topple. Too much going on!

I will be back writing daily come tomorrow (barring illness, of course).

Karen

3 comments:

Pen of Jen said...

Well I am praying that you will stay healthy!

Happy Thanksgiving!

DPL said...

I've read a few of your posts. You sound interesting. This means, I suppose, that you seem to be somewhat like me. I found & visited your blog because yours was the only comment with which I fully agreed regarding http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/2007/10/willow_creek_re.html.

However, I'm an atheist. In much the way that you have come to question the "Church" (i.e., the social context of believers), I -- after reading through the Bible -- came to the realization that deep down, I don't really believe this stuff.

Oh well. Best of luck to you.
-Dan

Jessica said...

Sounds like you had a good time!! :)

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm sorry that I didn't post the "substitutions" for the indgredients in the ANZAC Biscuits. You use Honey instead of "Golden Syrup" and Baking Soda instead of "Bicarbonate of Soda"

Hope you enjoy the cookies!! They are yummy! Especially when they are fresh out of the oven. :)

Oh, and I LOVE your name. Karen is my Momma's name. :)

~Jessica