Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Sometimes We Act Like He Doesn't Know

Psalm 10:1 Why, O LORD, do you stand far off? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?

Over and over again in the Psalms, David seems to ask God, 'okay....I know you're gonna come through for me eventually but WHERE ARE YOU????' Sometimes I'm almost blown away by the candor David uses with the God of the universe. Then again, this is a man who, in spite of his failings, knew God. He had watched Him deliver again and again and he talked to Him like He is real....which, of course, He is. I think, too often, we don't pour out our heart to the Father almost like He doesn't really know what we're thinking or what's in our heart. Don't get me wrong, I still don't know if I could be quite as blunt as David was......but when I read through the Psalms I see David 'spilling his guts' to the Lord. He didn't mince words because he knew that his thoughts were already know to this One who never slumbers nor sleeps.

Sometimes I need to remember what prayer is and what it isn't. It isn't a magic formula where you need to say the right words, and use the right formula or God won't hear you. Yes, I know we're to ask in His name and in His will, but I don't think it's our remembering to actually say those things that has Him answering or not answering. Somehow I don't see Him with this little checklist.....okay.....Hmmm...nope.....she didn't say in Jesus' name at the end.......no can do. Oh.....she didn't say 'if it's your will'......another request I just can't answer. No....this is a God who knows our thoughts, knows our frame, and loves us so much that He died to save us. Surely He knows the thoughts and desires of our hearts and loves to hear our requests.

With my own kids, I long for conversation with them. It sometimes includes requests. I don't make them phrase it exactly the right way (okay--'please' is nice :-D) and ask on their knees, or say pretty please with sugar on top. If my relationship with my kids is right, and we have an ongoing interactive relationship, requests and conversation is a natural outflow of that. How much more with our perfect Father. Not that we treat Him with a lack of honor and respect....but we also need to remember that He is, in fact, the one who redeemed us and longs to spend time interacting with us.

Hebrews4:15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. 16Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Lots of those O.T. men were very blunt with God. Take Moses for instance...."If you won't go with me God, I'm not going."

When we truly KNOW Him we are blunt and truthful with him. Just as we are with those close to us here in the flesh. At least, this is my opinion.
Susan

Karen said...

You're right....I forgot about Moses saying that.


By the way, I love your opinions and have really enjoyed reading your blog!

Deanna said...

Karen, this is so true.
I've had to re-think a lot of things since we left the institutional church. Prayer is one of the biggies! Thanks for your insights in this post.
It helped me!

Pen of Jen said...

Great post. I never thought of prayer this way. I am again so thankful to stop by and learn from such an amazing person!

Richard J said...

Karen--What a great reminder! Sometimes I approach God like I have to convince Him to bless me. I have to remind myself that He wants to hear from me. He wants to answer me when I call to Him.

It's funny. I experience great joy when my little ones come to me, but I don't realize that my heavenly Father has that same joy when I come to Him.