Wednesday, February 6, 2008

?????? about Church Planting-- or-- Heinz isn't the only one with 57 Varieties

I submit this post to you with both a caveat and a disclaimer. The warning being that this might offend some. The disclaimer being that I don't have all the answers. This is mostly a 'thinking aloud' via blogdom. I feel a little awkward questioning what others feel God has told them to do, but yet I've been in situations before and done things 'for God' that now I feel were probably more of a 'jumping on the bandwagon' than the leading of the Spirit. So I'm not trying to be judgmental. I just don't get it.



So, church planting. Hmmmm. No doubt the activity itself has biblical roots. The apostles planted churches in those days when the good news was being spread into communities and cities it had not reached yet. Then they just had to function as the church (easier said than done).



Today I'm confused by the whole idea of church planting in the United States (not to be confused with sending missionaries into largely unreached countries). When I look at our small town, we have more than a half dozen choices almost within walking distance of my house. If Iwant to travel up to 30 minutes, I probably have close to 100 choices or more. Now, not all of those are places I'd necessarily want to go but many of them do contain real believers serving the Lord with sincerity and gladness.



Here's the event that brought my problem with church plants to the front of my mind. I got an email from a person I've recently been reacquainted with. This person was considering being part of a church plant in (insert large metropolitan city here). The problem is that this person also lives 2/3 of the way across the country having moved there for another church plant, from a church here. Now I guess what I don't get is that this first move was WAY out west. I have a hard time believing that there aren't enough believers out there to reach those around them. Who knows, the believers out there might be sending believers out here to reach the massive Arab population in the Detroit area. Doesn't it seem kind of silly to be 'trading' mission fields? Shouldn't we reach those that God put right in front of us? I know of a particular church in our state that is looking to plant in New York City. Right now the Brooklyn Tabernacle is doing an absolutely marvelous work in the city. They've got groups in all five boroughs. The church is living and active in Manhattan alone, in several different expressions already. NYC is a completely different culture than suburbia or the rural U.S. Who better to reach the people in the city, than those who already love the city as well as live and work there?



I remember when we lived in upstate New York in our apartment. In our little rural community along one particular country road, there were three Baptist churches all within about 3/10 of a mile. It was downright silly. One of them was called Fellowship Baptist Church and we used to chuckle at the name because they obviously weren't up for fellowshipping with the baptists 100 yards in either direction. Since that time it appears that two of those churches are now gone, but yet there are several more plants. In the other town in which we lived, we saw at least two plants come in while there were already a pile of churches in the area.



So, are we just shuffling believers around from church to church or are we actually reaching the lost in a big way? Are we determined to know & proclaim Jesus Christ and Him crucified, or are we wrapped up in our particular way of 'doing church'? I don't know. I have been part of a church plant at one point. We weren't one of the families that moved into the new area, but started attending just after they started the plant. I know that there were several gatherings of believers meeting within a few miles of them at the time. So were we bringing the gospel into an area that needed it? Seems to me like we were taking believers away from an area they were already ministering in and just shifting them into another. You can't tell me that everyone in the area where they had come from had already come to know Jesus. I know for a fact that is not the case. Had these folks already evangelized everyone that God placed in their lives, i.e., their kid's teachers, their work acquaintances, their neighbors, postmen, grocery clerks, etc.? I am all for sending out missionaries to places that haven't heard the good news, but in the good old U.S. of A., it seems like we are more interested in planting our type of church than bringing the gospel to people who have never heard it.

I guess what I'm asking is, "Does there really need to be a baptist plant (or two), a PCA plant, a Plymouth Brethren plant, a Christian & Missionary Alliance plant, a Church of the Nazarene plant, a pentecostal plant, an Independant Baptist plant, etc.........? (what is WITH all those labels anyway?) Are we footing the bill to open yet another plant in an area saturated with churches because we have a difference in the way we worship? Or are we renting or erecting yet another building because the the other churches in the area believes in only the King James Version and we like the ESV? I think the problem is that, although we don't like to admit it, we oftentimes are gathering around a set of distinctives rather than around the Lord. Another reason we plant seems to be an underlying feeling that our group has better methods of reaching the lost or discipling or whatever. Book upon book has been written about methodology from seeker sensitivity to bus ministry to cell groups and everything in between. The Bible only talks about the power of the gospel itself. There is no power in a particular method. In fact, I think when we start trusting in our methods we feel less of a need for reliance on the Head of the Church (um, that would be Jesus....not the pastor--but that's an entirely different post, I suppose)

Please understand that I'm not trying to be negative, controversial, or cynical. I'd love to hear your views. Just yesterday I heard of a church one town away from us, starting a church in another neighboring town (which already has a pile of churches). Go figure.

I Corinthians 3: Are you not acting like mere men? 4For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?
5What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 7So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. 9For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.

16 comments:

Susan said...

I don't have any experience with church plantings so it's hard for me to know what I think about that subject.

I do think the problem in too many churches period is just as you've stated. Thinking our way is the only way and loosing sight of the BODY of CHRIST and getting caught up in Denominations and now even Non-denominations. I also think a lot of it is someone wanting to the Pastor or head of a church.

These are just MY opinions but that is what you asked for.

I will be interested in reading others comments.
Susan

Pen of Jen said...

Well I read this the other day and have thought about this a bit. First, I read a book about missions(I think in India) and the idea that the native people would understand best the needs of those that they are witnessing to.

That being said, I have no problem with everyone witnessing at every opportunity, or at the very least placing tracts out and giving bibles out.

But I am hurt inside when I see the intolerance between the churches of even the same denominations. Susan has written it best as we are loosing site of the Body of Christ.

I read a few missionaries blogs, and I do notice that they live slightly different than the locals. We went to a mission talk here in town of ones serving in Cambodia, and they spoke of their maids. How many in the US really have maids today. I really was bothered by the maid comment...I mean we have to support a lifestyle of an American in a foreign country, which is much more than a local could do...

As to crossing the country to plant a church... I think that this is an area where maybe attending conferences and the likes may be better, go, glean all you can then head back to the region you are in...but no I am currently of the mindset that we should train the locals and attend conferences...

but I too am human and am guilty of changing my mind sometimes.:)

Karen said...

Susan,

I always LOVE hearing your opinion! I agree with your reasoning there as well.

Jennifer,
I agree that you can never go wrong being a witness at every opportunity! Amen! Also, isn't it great that we have grace from the Lord and other believers when we do change our minds? Believe me, there are so many things I've changed my mind on over the years.

Richard J said...

Karen--I know I'm jumping in late here, but as a recovering church planter, I had to comment.

I think you're on the right track in a lot of ways, but I want to challenge you about one thing: is church planting really in the Bible? The apostles went out to share the good news. Church is simply the result having 2 or more followers of Jesus in the same place at the same time.

Church planting, almost by its definition, involves setting up some sort of structure or program for people to join. It can become as much about getting people to buy into the new structure as it is sharing God's life with others. That's why so many people in church plants come from other churches--they like the new structure better than the one they attended before.

The worst part of church planting for me was that I often felt like a salesman, peddling my brand of church. I couldn't meet people and enjoy them for who they were. I was looking for a way to get them to buy into my Christian club.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but this is something I'm passionate about...

Richard J said...

Karen--I wanted to add one more thought. (Sorry I'm hijacking your comment section. Feel free to tell me to go away!) There is a somewhat legitimate reason why people feel the need to plant churches in areas where other churches already exist.

Just because congregations exist doesn't mean those groups are spreading the gospel in that area. In the town where we started our church, there were other churches. But few were doing anything to reach the community. Our goal was to get to the 98% of people in our town that weren't involved with the already existing churches. In other words, the number of church buildings in the area wasn't the issue; the lack of outreach to the community was.

OK, you can have your blog back now. Sorry again for the wordiness...

Karen said...

Never worry about verbosity here, Richard.

I couldn't agree with you more (on both of your comments).

Katy-Anne Binstead said...

My pastor planted our church in his own neighbourhood, so to speak. There are many churches for the size city this is, but none of them really teach the truth. Most of them are actually Catholic. My pastor is not interested in starting a church and then moving on. He feels that God told him to start a church in his own town, and that when God gave him the flock, it was "for keeps". Our church is the newest and probably the smallest, but is the only one out on the streets preaching and trying to influence the city for Christ.

However, there are some things I have contentions with with "church planting". I'm from Australia, and the American missionary will come to Australia, having been "called of the Lord" to start a church in a certain area. However, none of the missionaries want to give up their comforts to go to the towns that really need churches, no, they stay in the metropolitan areas that are more comfortable who already have five great churches. My opinion is that if a person doesn't want to travel for 30 minutes to church, they don't really want to go...think about it...many of them travel further to work every day. In the church I come from in Australia, one of the families drives two hours one way for church, one drives an hour one way, one 45 minutes, and two 30 minutes, on dirt roads and not nice driving weather. They want to be in church, and it's the only one within four hours that is any good because the fancy missionaries want to keep their comforts and only build churches in a city where there is everything they are used to from home.

Anonymous said...

You’re best! Go!Go!加油
家事服務網頁設計的LaLa
外遇/ 徵信/徵信社/室內設計是我家的網站設計有空來晃晃

Anonymous said...

外遇---偷來的時間、偷來的伴侶、偷來的愛情
或許新鮮刺激,或許瘋狂美好,但這一切,終究是偷來的…
外遇傷害了一個幸福的家庭
或許你會說:問題其實早已存在,外遇並不是傷害的唯一因素
但是內心深處其實你知道,這只是外遇的藉口!
建築在傷害別人之下所得到的愛情,終究難以幸福…

Anonymous said...

知道他有了外遇
面對他的低聲下氣妳冷嘲熱諷、無理取鬧
妳瘋狂似的大吵大鬧
甚至到他的公司去亂、向他的親友抱怨、向鄰居們哭訴…
妳把他的外遇鬧的人盡皆知
最後,妳把他的愧疚消耗殆盡…
最後,妳把他想要回頭的念頭打消…
最後,妳自己把他推向外遇的第三者身邊…

Anonymous said...

人家都說男人到大陸都會外遇包二奶
老婆淚眼說擔心他外遇
他了解老婆的擔心,只好用錢去彌補分離的缺憾
漸漸的,老婆的電話愈來愈少…
她說,她是怕自己太依賴
漸漸的,他知道其實是她有了外遇
於是,面對自己外遇的行為,他忽然覺得好過了些…

Anonymous said...

許多人的婚姻因為伴侶的外遇而殘缺不全,
於是許多人只能夠藉由抓姦來保障自己,
專業徵信人員針對不忠伴侶進行外遇蒐證,
並依照您的需求進行抓姦行動;
確定適當時機時,會與您一同報案,
尋求警方共同抓姦,我們合法對外遇對象進行抓姦
外遇抓姦問題,讓我們給您最專業服務!

Anonymous said...

常常聽說很多男人大陸包二奶之後就不回台灣,
許多大老婆因為不敢大陸抓姦而整天以淚洗面!
其實大陸抓姦並非想像中困難;
現今很多徵信社都有大陸抓姦的服務,
因為台商家庭很多,大陸包二奶更成為常態性,
於是徵信社了解許多大老婆有大陸抓姦的需求,
紛紛在大陸各省設立分公司,提供專業大陸抓姦服務,
協助台商家庭解決大陸抓姦的包二奶問題!

Anonymous said...

你打死不承認你的外遇,甚至出手打我,抓姦也要在床是嗎?
真的要抓姦在床你才肯承認自己的背叛?我想要抓姦
不僅僅是為了讓你啞口無言,抓姦也是為了要讓自己出一口氣!
我想要抓姦,我想要讓你知道,外遇不是沒有代價的!

Anonymous said...

徵信社」標竿,國內少數有正面公益新聞的徵信社,不僅收費合理,且有多位專業證照考核經理人為您服務。

Anonymous said...

徵信社推薦」首選!我們擁有豐富的辦案經驗,以及高科技的設備,24小時隨時為您待命!

徵信社收費」大解析,徵信社的收費方式一直是消費者心中的一個謎,讓我們來看看影響徵信社收費的三大因素。