Thursday, August 30, 2007

Planning for Shopping Day

Alright, no heavy stuff today. It's hard work trying not to offend anyone.

Today...groceries and finances. One of these days I'll tell our whole financial story from years back but I don't have the energy or time today.

We always follow a written budget. I hate bookkeeping. I loathe tracking spending. Every month I go to the bank and withdraw all the money I have in my budget for groceries for that month. It put it in an envelope. When it's gone, I stop buying groceries. No checkbook to balance, no overspending, no impulse buys.

One of the things that helps me keep spending down is when I take the time to write out a cryptic menu for the week or month. When the kids were little, I used to do this for the month. Now I might do it for a week or two and I base it on what's on sale at the grocery store and local farm markets. I don't go into a lot of detail, and I can swap meals within a week, but to have a plan assures that I have everything in the house that I need for all the dishes to be prepared that week. If I go to make a plan and there's not a lot of stuff I usually use on sale that week, I just plan one week and then wait to see if the next week's flier has some better choices on sale and then do a longer menu/shopping list based on those sales. I realize this is no original genius plan.....it's just how I do it and it works for us. When all of the guys are around my grocery bill is hideously enormous so every little bit helps.

I need to make my plan today. Tomorrow is bank and stock the fridge day. I think it will also be 'blog about the finances day'.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

TO BECOME said...

This is also very much like I do it. When I make out a menue sometimes I switch the meals around but at least I know what I am working with. It works for us also. connie from Texas