Monday, August 27, 2007

Loving God When No One Is Looking

I have a friend who loves God. She is one of those multi-talented individuals who can do pretty much anything she sets her mind to. She owned & operated her own upscale home & decor shop before she had kids, she paints beautiful watercolors, she runs, is a great mom, she's smart, has the energy of ten people, knows the Word inside and out, and is a tremendous wife to her husband. As a result of her being so talented and willing to help, she is asked to do many things at the church she fellowships with. She has finally started saying no to some of those good things, in order to do some of the things that nobody sees, that God has called her to. It's only a couple of us who see what she does because she never does these things to glory in herself, but to be a witness to others. Here's one of the things that she's gotten herself involved in (okay---the Lord arranged them and she was more than willing).

A few years ago someone in our town was charged with being responsible for the death of her own baby just after it's birth (I believe it was abandonment or neglect). My friend was amazed at the way this woman was being crucified by the press---the same press that would have thought it was a wonderful thing that she had the right to choose to legally snuff out that baby's life if she had done it just hours before birth via abortion. In no way did my friend think that what this woman did was anything close to okay....she was just angry at the inconsistency of the press and felt a great compassion for this woman. So, she got involved. Quietly. No one else knew. She found out where this woman was incarcerated, got the address, and started writing to her. They are now friends. She's sent Christmas presents to this woman's other children who are living with their grandma. She writes and encourages her. We bring her needs before the Lord at our Thursday gatherings. I think she's finally been approved to go see her in prison. Her sentence is a long one. She will never be out while her kids are young. I don't know what will become of this. This woman has trusted Christ for salvation and is growing, partly due to my friend loving God and being obedient to His call to serve-----even when no one is watching.

Matthew 25:35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'


1 comment:

Pen of Jen said...

Oh I am tearing up, what a wonderful woman! And praise God for the woman in jail receiving Christ!

I often write about this, the perfection that we can create, yet truly it is our insides that are so in need.

Bill and I do call those who do anything the STP's.

Why you ask? Because the Same Ten People do everything, and once it is discovered that you are one of these people, it is hard to say no.

I am so glad that this woman did, and served silently and willingly!
Jennifer